The powerful, yet safe, introductory meditation technique which follows has been taught to literally thousands of people over more than 30 years, including health practitioners at the University of California, San Diego Health Sciences Department. Many have found it to be calming and centering for themselves and for those they treat and counsel. Scientific studies have found meditation in general to have health benefits such as reducing stress and lowering blood pressure. Beyond those physical benefits, if practiced often, meditation can lead to an overall increased clarity of mind, emotional well-being, and sensory delight in life-in essence, more of the joy of living
The STAR PATH is a step-by-step process of enhancing and accelerating spiritual growth and enlightenment. Using ancient techniques in a modern formulation, the STAR PATH works with inner “light-fire” energy tools and techniques to bring about the releasing of one’s potential for healing self and others, for creative inspiration and expression, and for problem-solving in many areas of life.
Founded in the early 1960’s by Dr. Russell Paul Schofield, Actualism- known as “Agni Yoga” or “union by fire”- now taught at centers in New York and California (including Costa Mesa, Escondido, Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco). I am endeavoring to introduce this teaching to a worldwide audience by means of the Internet. To teach meditation by correspondence, in a book, or long distance over computer networks, is a formidable task, but the results since the first of these articles was posted to “alt.meditation” on the Internet in September 1993 have shown that it is possible. At least the introductory techniques can be practiced, and even mastered, from reading and then sitting down and working with them. With a teacher present in person, it is much easier to learn because not only is the teacher available to answer questions, but the energy and awareness of the teacher amplify the experience of the student.
Actualism teaches the following basic laws of energy, which express profoundly powerful inner truths:
1. Awareness directs thought, and thought directs energy.
2. Life-energy follows thought.
3. Where there is pain, from mild discomfort to acute distress, the flow of life-energy is obstructed.
4. Where thought is focused, the power of life-energy is concentrated.
We can sum up these four laws in four simple words for practical application: THINK, LET, OBSERVE, and EXPERIENCE. So when you are working with inner life energy tools, think of the energy once, then let it flow, observe it moving about, and with your awareness let yourself enter into the experience. As you become skilled at this directed “letting” you move into what we call “effortless effort”. How difficult is it to think a thought? Yet that is all it takes to begin tapping into your inner- light-fire energy. The key is knowing where to direct your awareness, and how to bring the energy from within out. The “how” is easy, once you stop trying to make it difficult.
Especially when you start out working with life-energies, it is best to be in a situation where you will not be interrupted. If possible, find a quiet, comfortable place to sit. Let someone else or your phone answering machine answer the phone. Sit in a comfortable chair, with your feet flat on the floor, your legs and arms uncrossed. (This can also be done lying down, but you might fall asleep). Rest your hands on your upper legs, with your palms down. Close your eyes, so your mind won’t be distracted by what is going on around you.
1. Direct your focus of awareness to a place six inches (about 15cm) directly above the center of the top of your head. This is the location of a place in consciousness called “The Upper Room”. It is always calm and radiant, no matter what is going on elsewhere in your mind or body, or around you. Think of a point of pure, crystal-white light here. Don’t “try” to visualize it. If you see it, fine, but if you don’t, it doesn’t matter. As you think of the point of white light, it grows brighter, expanding into a little star, three inches (about 7.5cm) in diameter.
2. Think and let the star burn away the veils that have kept it hidden all these years. Direct the star to open, releasing a downpour of cleansing and purifying life energy. This energy is crystal clear, like fresh spring water.
3. Let the energy flow through your hair, scalp, into the bones of your head and face, into your brain, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, down the neck, through your shoulders, arms, and hands. Experience it flowing through your chest and back, abdomen, hips, pelvic area, upper legs, knees, lower legs, ankles and feet. Think and let the soles of your feet open, releasing the energy into the earth beneath your feet. Now it is flowing through your whole body.
4. Think of the soles of your feet closing, so the energy begins to backfill up through the areas you have cleared out. Experience it in your legs, hips, torso, shoulders, arms, hands, neck, and head. Let it overflow out the top of your head, surrounding your body with an aura of crystal clear white light.
5. Bring your hands together, almost but not quite touching, palms facing each other out in front of your body. Experience the energy flowing through your hands. You could use this energy to heal others, by laying your lighted hands on the person’s head, heart, or wherever they have discomfort. Whatever you touch with your hands lighted this way will be filled with inner light-fire-energy.
6. If you experience discomfort anywhere in your body as you are working with the inner light, think of the “consuming fire” aspect of the energy. Hold the focus of it in the area of discomfort to burn through the obstructions to the flow of your pure life energy. Afterwards, take a few minutes to assimilate the radiant essence of the light into any area that you have cleared out with the consuming fire aspect.
WHEN TO USE THIS MEDITATION TECHNIQUE
In addition to your focused practice of the energy in a meditation as described above, you can work with the downpour anytime and anywhere, day or night, with your eyes open or closed, as appropriate to the situation. You can use it as an inner shower while you take your outer shower in the morning. Every time you think of the star and the white light downpouring, it continues for about 30 minutes. So you can literally fill your day with inner light. It’s also a great way to go to sleep at night. For stress-reduction it is best to practice the technique for at least a few minutes every day.
Authors Details: Bruce R. Jaffe The Authors Website